Sunday, July 31, 2016

Seven Things that are Tough to Do With RA

I have been thinking about all of the small and really annoying things that are difficult for me to do with RA. The little things really light me up. For me, it is much easier to address and deal with the larger issues of this chronic disease.  Funny enough, writing this post about them makes me laugh. A sense of humor is essential (see accompanying to do list graphic as an example) when you have RA, so get with the program. Here is my top seven list for today:

1. Walking the dog. Poor Hoss, he misses his daily walkies.  He gets to head out for adventures when the grandchildren are here.  Good thing he is a gentle giant on the leash, otherwise he would drag them all over the place.  Camp Bow Wow is also a godsend since he can go there for the day and play with his doggie friends.

2. Bending over to pick things up. Now here is something really annoying.  Imagine if every time you try to bend over to pick something up, the pain kicked in and you could not breathe.  I never thought I would have to catch my breath after picking up a piece of paper from the floor, who knew?

3. Going up and down the stairs. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Hold on tight and don’t fall. Enough said.

4. Weeding the flower gardens. I have discovered this year that my neglected flower gardens look better than ever.  I was able to weed a bit early in the summer but many weeds are still there.  I hate weeds in my garden but I am learning to live with them.  Good thing the flowers are so huge this year, ‘cuz you can’t see the weeds.

5. Getting to sleep. A good night’s sleep is truly a gift. Of course, you have to fall asleep AND stay asleep to achieve this lofty goal.  Some nights are better than others.  I keep telling myself that the best thing about a bad night of sleep is that I will be tired and sleep better the following night.  That cheers me up considerably!

6. Lifting, carrying and opening stuff. Danny, can you carry this upstairs for me?  Can you open this jar for me? Can you pick up this whatever and do something with it?  Ugh.  I want to pick up and carry my own stuff, thank-you. Hopefully, my family will not start charging me by the request as it would get really expensive really fast.

And my personal favorite, #7, which is (drum roll, please!)

7. Not having a drink.  A good margarita (on the rocks, please, with your best tequila, a splash of Cointreau and fresh lime juice!) would go a long way towards reconciling me to the previous 6 constraints.  It would minimize my irritation and annoyance with the “little things”, too. Unfortunately, drinking alcohol is not recommended given the medications I am taking.  Poor liver, it is getting stressed out enough and does not need the additional work.  I tell myself that I am saving my occasional drink for special occasions, and that has worked well do far.  Of course, now I need a special occasion … thoughts?


Here’s hoping that tomorrow is another good day!
Susan


SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment