Thursday, June 23, 2016

Whatever Happened to “No Pain, No Gain”?



This daily pain thing is quite challenging. Right now I am in-between biologics as I try to recover from pleurisy.  Transitioning from Remicade to Rituxin is a bit intimidating, but I am willing to make the switch. These are the times when you realize just how bad the unmasked RA actually is and how much it hurts.  No fun.

I have been doing a lot of reading about pain medications and the current push to deny people in chronic pain their pain medication.  This “nanny state” perspective where everyone who takes pain medication is an addict is simply ridiculous. It is like saying that everyone who eats will continuously overeat and become overweight. The logic does not hold up for this argument. Some folks (me included) take pain medication so they can function and get through their days. Pardon me, but isn’t that what the pain medication is for? I am NOT an addict, not even close. What are these people thinking?Stay safe, stay warm, stay

Every time I read an article where some expert says that managing pain is a mental exercise or can be achieved through a change in diet, I think about zapping that person with some serious RA pain for a 24-hour period. Wonder if that zap would change their point of view? Right now I am typing at my kitchen table and ignoring how much my hands and wrists are screaming.  My preference is to take pain medication at the end of the day when things seem to be at their worst.  I may have to change my preference, though, since this transition period does not follow any rules that I can see for what hurts and when it hurts.

My mother always tells me that there is a time to be brave and a time to be practical. She is correct, especially when it comes to treating RA pain.  Of course, I should know by now that my mother is always right!

Here’s hoping tomorrow is another good day!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment