Monday, June 20, 2016

Complications, Complications, Complications

Until recently, I felt as though we had my RA under control with Remicade infusions and Methotrexate pills. As a novice science experiment, I did not realize just how tricky the disease could be and the many ways it could come after me.

After my most recent infusion, I developed a case of shingles, ouch. Now that hurt! I guess the shingles indicated a weakened immune system, and a week later a nasty respiratory virus stepped in to grab me. Two weeks and now I had two illnesses I had missed out on before: pleurisy and the shingles. This is the first time I have been seriously ill as a science experiment, and the doctors think the Remicade and the RA were key contributing factors.

I never realized just how nice it is to be able to breathe freely and without pain. After three days in the hospital, I came back home to ride out the respiratory issues. It is going to be a longer ride than I thought.  The other outcomes from these illnesses is no more Remicade for me. I am being switched to Rituxan after the respiratory issues clear out. Scary, scary, I have watched the folks getting their Rituxan infusions and it seems more daunting then two hours of a Remicade drip.  The side effects seem more staggering as well.

Of course, this means that I will be in a painful state for the next 4 to 6 weeks, taking only Prednisone while the Remicade leaves my system.  Having RA flares along with not being able to breathe truly adds insult to injury.

Here’s hoping tomorrow is another good day!
Susan
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. You were warned about your immune system going in the sewer, but shingles and a respiratory problems, holy cow. I can't even imagine your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, no kidding! Apparently the Remicade infusions are known to cause issues like shingles and pleurisy in some patients, lucky me. Such a shame, since otherwise the medication was working out pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete