Sunday, August 28, 2016

Riding the Rituxan Express

My second Rituxan infusion last Thursday was an express trip to hopefully feeling better.  Since the initial infusion two weeks ago was uneventful and I did not react to the medication in any way, this second infusion was on the proverbial “fast track”.  The drip speed was periodically adjusted upwards over the three hours that it took to get all that stuff into me.  As long as I felt okay (no headache or other odd happenings), we were going to get this infusion done in the most efficient manner possible. Amazing and a bit surreal, I must admit.

Once again, the methylprednisolone kept me up very late. My hands were not hurting so I was able to do a lot of paper piecing on my current quilt. Seems like the pattern is to sleep away the afternoon after the infusion and then be up late in to the night.  The rheumatologist is very optimistic about this new medication and my reaction to the first infusion.  Two months should be enough time to tell just how well (or not well) Rituxan works for me. So far, so good for this RA science experiment.

I have a short list of things I am looking forward to being able to do in the short term.  I have been unable to do so many things this summer, I am happy to see fall beginning as the nights cool off here and the bushes get their berries.  For me, this summer of pain and discomfort is one to let go and forget about.

My “want to do” list includes:
  1. Weeding and planting in my flower gardens
  2. Paper-piecing rosettes on my quilt project  
  3. Walking the dog every day around the ponds (a distance of 1.5 miles)
  4. Taking the stairs with no shortness of breath
  5. Carrying in the groceries myself, more than one bag at a time
  6. Walking, walking, walking
  7. Sleeping better and longer every night 

Not too ambitious of a list, is it?  I sure hope I can achieve these things that I used to take for granted.

The best thing is that I may be able to get my hair trimmed.  When I got sick, I decided I would not have it cut until I was feeling better.  Let’s hope I get there soon since my hair is almost to my waist – it is kind of like wearing a carpet down your back. While the rest of me took a beating from the pleurisy and the RA symptoms this summer, my hair was flourishing and grew like crazy. At least it didn’t turn white or anything. Go figure.


Susan

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Prednisone- an ugly, necessary evil. I wish you restful slumber most of all.

    ReplyDelete