Monday, June 27, 2016

Gardening or Sitting Still?

Happy Monday! I woke up this morning up at 4 am unable to breathe, so I came downstairs and started working on my textbook revision at the kitchen table. I am still amazed at how gravity and I can disagree. Seems like I can sleep about 5 or 6 hours max with this pleurisy thing, and then it is time to be upright for a while. This is an absolute requirement versus an optional requirement.  Plus it would be rude to lay there gasping for breath and wake up my soundly sleeping husband. I know I am his major sleep disruptor these days, so I try to keep the disruptions to a minimum. It can’t be easy being on the other side of this RA equation. The scope of the challenges this chronic disease brings into your family life is remarkably large and complex.

Seems like this is the absolute slowest recovery ever. I can’t walk more than 10 steps without having to pause and catch my breath. I can’t bend over to pick things up. Going down the stairs is okay but coming back up is a challenge. Wonder how we will know when this is over with and the Rituxan infusions can start without additional risks to my health and especially to my lungs? This could take a while. Pleurisy plus major RA flares equals no fun. I am officially an invalid for the foreseeable future.  No fun and actually a pretty lonely existence when you are used to being out and about.

As I sit here typing, I find myself wanting to go outside and work in the flower gardens. Danny has been watering and weeding for me in addition to his other yard chores, such a sweet man. Guess I am lucky that my Colorado flower beds are mature and forgiving of my neglect. My best friend Peggy came for a visit with the “sicky” and spent time planting some new Bachelor Button plants for me where the voles ate everything during the winter. Alas, no gardening for me today or probably in the foreseeable future. I can’t bend over and breathe well at the same time, at least not yet.

Here’s hoping for another good day!
Susan

2 comments:

  1. Please let me know when you need a ride to the doctor's office. Early works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky, I will give you a holler if I need a ride one day. Right now, Danny is home with me full-time because I can’t be left alone feeling this miserable. He is getting a lot of yard projects completed while looking in on the “sicky” to make sure all is well.

    ReplyDelete